Wednesday, October 24, 2012

trials of many kinds....

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4

When you really read this passage, it is unbelievable. First, count it joy? I don't know about anyone else, but this sinful girl really struggles to count it joy when I am under trial. And lately, my life seems to be one trial after another. But even as I write this I find it comforting, that the God and Creator of the universe would love me so deeply to discipline and make me a child of his. He is preparing His church...we are to be presented as a body without spot or blemish (Eph. 5:27). Our trials, afflictions, sufferings, and pain consecrate us, set us apart, and produce in us steadfastness....perserverance. Then, this steadfastness- firm and unwavering faith, will cause us to be PERFECT AND COMPLETE, LACKING IN NOTHING!! Wow. Do your trials cause you to rejoice? do they cause you to seek the Father more diligently? do they cause you to become blameless and pure....producing character that resembles Christ? So often, I want to run the other way. To find the quickest route out of the pain or the test I may be experiencing. But if I do that, I become like a disobedient child. But when I read Hebrews 12, I find joy in my trials- 

My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises EVERY son whom he receives. It is discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which ALL have participated, then you are illegitimate children and NOT sons. Hebrews 12:6-8

This passage can cause you to examine your faith. Which is good, after all we are called to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling" (phil. 2:12) but it can also lead to peace. I want to be a son. I want to know that the pain, whether it be physical, emotional, relational, mental...whether it be as I fight my sin, fight for my child in Haiti, fight to have joy in the midst of pain, fight to not allow the world to creep and take hold in my heart or in my family,  is not in vain. I want to know that when I finish the race, that when I stand before Christ, I will hear those words that I long to hear so that my life on this temporary earth will not have been WASTED...."well done, good and faithful servant." 

HOW GLORIOUS! 

So as Satan entices me to quit (I Peter 5:8) ..... to stop denying myself, to stop worrying about lost souls, to live for the here and now instead of keeping my eyes on eternity,  to entertain myself and to love what the world loves (comfort, easy life, prosperity, self), to not find joy in the hardship, I will press on! With the power of the Holy Spirit, I will fight the good fight of faith. I can not do it on my own, but by the One who lives inside me and whose promises are true. 










 

2 comments:

  1. Right there with sister...trying my hardest to count it all joy!!! love you...praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sweet Kristen.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete