Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Christmas

This will be the second year since making our family Christmas decree- no presents under the tree. (although we have learned that we can't stop grandma...:) 
Two years ago, the day after Christmas, Brian and I felt let down. We struggled to keep our hearts on Christ on Christmas day and if it was hard for us, imagine how it was for our kids. We had scaled down Christmas a lot over the years. Only a few gifts per child and a stocking. We ditched Santa several years before that so that he wouldn't be attempting to steal the spotlight from Christ. (Of Course, Santa or anyone for that matter can't take anything from Christ...)
I don't think gift giving is wrong- I actually love when people show love to one another through a heart felt gift.  It's just that I realized we busy ourselves with so much cultural agenda that it becomes challenging to focus on what we truly need. Him. And what I really want to celebrate on Christmas is Christ....not stuff. 
On Christmas day last year, I honestly thought there was going to be a void. Christmas with no presents?  But something else, unexpected happened. For the first time in my life, and my husbands, we experienced our real gift, Christ, in a way we never had. And let's be honest. I don't need anything....material, that is. What I need more of, daily, hourly, minute by minute, is Christ. What I don't need is more distractions away from Him. 
So we filled the day with other, life giving things. Baking, singing, fire making, praying for others, giving gifts to those who truly need it, reading, playing games....hopefully when the kids are older we can add serving to that. 
Sure, our kids had a struggle adjusting....as did we. But at the end of the day, our oldest told us he was thankful that we did that. Um, ok. That's not normal. And you know what buddy, only God can do that. Only God. 

I'm thankful to be freed to enjoy Christ as the season approaches. I was one of the hyper moms that wanted to have everything just right. Sparkly packages with the most fun surprises inside. Running around like a lunatic to make everyone happy but actually wanting to just stop and breathe. So, Lord willing, we will add the Jesse tree (thank you Ann Voskamp!) to our tradition this year, try to focus on those in true need and bask in the love of our beautiful gift, Jesus. 








No comments:

Post a Comment